Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Compliment

Last night, the manager took us out to eat at the new Italian place down the street. As the three of us (manager, my husband, and I) were immersed in conversation, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to the woman sitting at the table behind me who proceeded to say, "I don't know what you did or do to keep your son so well behaved! Whatever it is you should patent it." I smiled and thanked her.

I decided not to tell her how just an hour ago Logan was screaming bloody murder. How everyone on the ranch could hear him hollering and shouting. How we were in the office and he had had enough so his little attitude and temper flaired up. How I sat there ignoring him while entering data on my computer for forty-five minutes before finally deciding to pick him up, only to have him arch back from me and scream louder. Therefore, I put him back down and continued to ignore him until his dad came in from work to get him.

No, I did not tell her any of this. I have found that it is best to accept a compliment with a thank you and a smile rather than go into the details.

No comments: