Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kids - An Inspiration

Ever notice how determined kids are? They just won't give up. It does not matter if they are learning to crawl, walk, or wanting that piece of candy in the grocery store check out line.

They truly are an inspiration. As we get older the words "I can't" seem to come out of our mouths a bit more. Why is that?

One of my favorite quotes comes from the movie"Batman Begins":

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
I watched Logan as he was learning to crawl. He would move his feet, but not his hands and of course fall over. Over and over I would watch him keep trying. Of course now that he has mastered the crawling bit, he is all over the place. He now grabs things and pulls himself up into a standing postion. Next, he'll be trying to walk and while getting a grasp on the whole balance thing, he'll keep falling again and again. Only to one day, be running around the house and outside.
To some, this is just a step in life. If we didn't keep trying while we were kids, we would never have gotten anywhere. But as I watched, I thought of all the times I gave up and said those two terrible words, "I can't." And I made up my mind to keep a conscious effort to stop saying "I can't" and start doing. Stop talking about things and, instead start making them happen.
Where do we, as teenagers and adults, lose our confidence? When do we stop trying and start giving up more?
Logan is one of my inspirations. I hope everyone out there can find an inspiration of their own.

No comments: