Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Losing the Baby Weight

Before I became pregnant, I was a fitness fanatic. Okay, maybe not fanatic. But I ate healthy and worked out regularly. Even during my pregnancy I stayed active and ate correctly, not gaining more than the recommended 28 pounds.

I knew that pregnancy causes your body to change, however, what was failed to be mentioned or read was how difficult it was going to be to get back to my pre-pregnancy size. Half my old shirts won't button over my waist any my old jeans do not go up past my thighs.

Just finding the time to exercise is a challenge; and don't even get me started on the meals (or lack of) that I now find myself consuming.

Example 1: at my 6 week postpartum appointment, my doctor mentioned how thin I was getting, especially in my face. I told her I was on the "new mom diet," I don't eat, I just look at my food.

Example 2: Getting tired of the way I look, I made a goal for yesterday. Drink two bottles of water and take a walk. The result, one bottle of water.

I have decided that what I really need to do is sign up for a marathon 6+ months from now. This will force me to get back on track with my old healthy lifestyle.

Now the question is, what to do with Logan while trying to accomplish all this. I have a jogging stroller and have tried on several occasions to go for a walk here with him. However after passing the first cattle guard (about 10 feet from my front door) he is already fussing and crying.

I love hiking and have always dreamed of a back country backpacking trip through Europe, Alaska, Tibet, wherever. Of course, none of this can be done until Logan is potty trained (packing dirty diapers around is not my idea of a pleasant trip.) However, day to two day hikes can be manageable. In fact we are in the middle of planning a family hiking trip for our wedding anniversary this year.

At least the hiking will get me out on the trail and moving more. Chasing Logan around and walking to the office and back just isn't cutting it.

I know that with a lot of hard work and making the time for better habits, I will eventually fit back into my favorite pair of old jeans. Until then, I will make goals and work at achieving them more and more each day. I will remind myself that this new body, though I hate it, is the result of someone pretty special.

No comments: