Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

No Rest For the Wicked

I was thinking about this phrase a few days ago. The phrase originated from the book of Isaiah verses 48:22 and 57:20-21.

48:22 "'There is no peace,' says the Lord, 'for the wicked.'"

57:20 "'But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.'"

57:21 "'There is no peace,' saith my God, to the wicked.'"

Basically, this phrase says that the wicked will be tormented. However, we use this phrase for many things these days. In college, my boss used this phrase when I pulled a 9 hour shift with no lunch or breaks.

Others have used it towards me when I was working two jobs, going to college, and planning my wedding. Come to think of it, I have heard this phrase quite a bit.

However, I was thinking of this phrase more in the sense of a Mom or Dad. I certainly feel stretched thin most of the time. For some unknown reason society and/or other family members think that just because you are a Mom (or for some Dads) it is your responsibility to maintain the household, and everything that goes on in it.

It is the Mom's responsibility to take care of everyone in the family, be it cooking, cleaning, taking care of the children, or in my case along with all the mentioned above, also help bring in money to pay bills and try to live a comfortable life. My question is, with Mom taking care of everyone and everything else around, who is taking care of her? I think most people look beyond Mom and her well being and more towards how she is running the world around her.

I joke with my husband that with everything I am expected to take responsibility for, maintain, and do, I will eventually have to be put away into a padded room. Though I say this in a teasing manner, sometimes that padded room looks tempting just to have a break from it all.

This is the life I have been given and I am grateful and appreciative of it. But, would it kill anybody to give Mom just a little break once in a while?

No comments: