Pages

Friday, February 27, 2009

Family Time

In these times, most households require both parents to work. Children go to school and/or spend their days at a daycare, relatives house, etc. Between jobs, commuting, baseball practice, dance recital and so forth; when does a family spend time together?

I have often said that I have it easy out here. I do not commute to a 9-5 job, I walk out my front door and I'm at work. However, and I have mentioned this also, it is not all that glamorous either. For example, I walk out my front door and I'm at work. It's not a 9-5 job, but a 24/7 job. There is no getting away.

Some may think that because this is the lifestyle we live, family time should come easily, and in some ways is does. Everything we do out here is as a family. Logan and I spend all day together working and playing. His dad comes in to drop off information, chat when things are going well and getting done (and when they are not). All day long we see each other and sneak time in.

When the day comes to a close and it is time for dinner, we try to sit down together. This is where family time gets rough. For one, the day is never closed. Just last week, my husband was out AI'ing (artificially inseminating) a cow at 2:00am. Sometimes we are in the house at 5 only to have to go back out at 6.

When we are home for the night, we want to relax and unwind. Dad goes to the computer to play video games, mom to her sewing machine, the DVD player, or a book. Logan is back and forth between the two wanting to play. We all go our separate ways trying to get the day off.

Isn't it rather odd that we spend more time together while working than we do at home?

No comments: