Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Boys = Demolition

Remember that old song we used to all sing as a kid: "Girls are made up of sugar, spice, and everything nice. Boys are made of snakes, snails, and puppy dog tails." For one reason or another this song as been chiming through my head. Perhaps it's due to the recent discussions I have been having with people on the never ending debate between boys and girls.

It has been said time and time again that boys are easier to raise than girls. Only twice have I heard that girls were the easier ones. At our company Christmas party, I was talking with one of the wives who had three girls all grown now, she was telling me how quiet her house always was. The girls would go about whatever it is they wanted to do. She continued on with her story to when her grandson arrived, the house was no longer quiet, she couldn't keep him out of anything!

Another couple friend of ours has two girls and a boy. The dad told us, "you could childproof a house for girls and not have to worry. Boys on the other hand, go right through it all. It is impossible to childproof for a boy."

I have been contemplating all of these discussions and realized how right everyone was. Now I don't have a girl so I can not compare the two, but with Logan all the stories have been right on. My father-in-law came to visit not long ago and put child safe locks on all my cupboards - Logan opens each one.

A little toy horse that Logan received last year for Christmas is now his mobile step stool to get into anything and everything unreachable. From the kitchen sink to the top of the washing machine.

My house is constantly covered in toys; last night Logan and I picked them all up and put them in a box. Next thing I know, he is running around the house laughing, pushing his box of toys and chasing our dog Biscuit with it.

I have discovered that little boys are a walking demolition machine. Nothing is safe, nothing will go untouched no matter how many times you say "no." They will take the time to sit there to figure out how things work. I've watched Logan take apart an item and try to put it back together again. You could see his little mind working out how each item fits and what it does.

One thing is for sure, there is never a dull moment when you have a little boy.

No comments: