Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Mimicking

You never realize how closely your son/daughter is watching, learning, and doing the things you do. For example, the other day I was playing video games (yes, I am a closet gamer) I was getting frustrated with Mario for missing his jump (I know, I am the one controlling him but I can't yell at myself!) I shouted out to Mario, "OH MY GOD!" Then I heard a little voice behind me say, "oh my God." Mental note to self, be more careful about what is coming out of my mouth.

Sometimes I will see Logan walking around the house with my purse over one arm and a cell phone on his ear talking to someone. Whoever it is, they sure are having an enjoyable conversation because Logan is always laughing when they talk.

Another situation approached itself last night. I was at the table going over our budget, when I decided to get a glass of water and make some tea. I turned around and found that Logan was fine tuning my calculations. (I was also lucky enough to get a picture of it!)

I have a friend with a boy a year older than Logan, she has called me on some of the things her son has mimicked her on. I always laugh at the situation, then she tells me, "Just you wait, it's coming! Soon Logan will be doing this to you." And sure enough, as I watch closely, Logan is doing everything Mom and Dad are. From what we are saying to how we go about our days.

It's a little scary to think that we are this little person's teacher. That he is learning from us the way to work; how to have and be in a relationship. He is learning from Mom and Dad all about the world, who he is, and who he is going to be.

1 comment:

beth said...

I wont say I told you so, but I did warn you. Mine was "fixing" the door the other day with a real screwdriver, he had just watched me tighten hinges on the kitchen cabinets. Apparently he knows where we keep the tools in the kitchen drawer, they are moving today.