Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Book Review

I just completed reading the book Run Like A Mother: How to Get Moving - - and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity. by: Sarah Bowen Shea and Dimity McDowell.  (I know!  How in the world was I able to fit reading an entire book in?)

Anyway, I picked this book up hoping to be inspired to lace up my running shoes again.  It has been an awful (waaaayyyy too long) since I've ran - heck since I've really been active at all (4 workouts in 14 months!  Come on now.)

I laughed at areas I could relate too; such as the battle between you and yourself when the alarm clock goes off at 5:00 a.m.  You want to get up and go, you will feel better both physically and mentally if you go and run.  Then there's the other you; the one who is drooling on the pillow and only wants to roll over and snuggle deeper into the blankets.  Another relation: Living in your running clothes all day in the hopes you can sneak off somewhere in between taking care of kids, husbands, pets, the household, work, etc. and run.  (I actually have been doing this everyday for the past week and a half!)

This book is filled with advice, tips, and stories from hard core "I ran until I gave birth and right after" running mom's to "just want to get away and have a moment to myself" running moms.  Training for a 5K, 10K, half marathon and full marathon - to how to compromise, and/or bribe your husband to watch the kiddies while you go on your long run Saturday morning.  No topic was missed.  From breastfeeding your baby on the side of the road/trail to what kids have told their mom's during or after her run. - One of my favorites: a mom came in right after a run in some rather windy weather; her 4 year old looked at her and said, "Mom, you look crazy."

I must admit, this book did get me looking for another half marathon to run; in which I am deciding between a few in October, November or December.  The funny thing is running was never my favorite sport; in fact I loathed the days where gym class was taken out to do laps on the track.  I don't know what possessed me to sign up for my first half marathon in 2006 but since then, I search and train for more - I guess I'm hooked! 

When people ask me about marathons I tell them that I do it for three reasons:
  1. Living and working on the ranch, there is no "off" time.  Marathons give me a reason to take a mini vacation.
  2. It allows me to go to places I would normally never go (i.e. Las Vegas, NV)
  3. Paying the fee to run a marathon is pretty steep (roughly $40-$60), if I pay this then it forces me to actually get off my butt and exercise; having something to look forward too keeps me motivated. 

No comments: