Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thoughts at the Toy Store

JP, Logan, my sister-in-law Jessie, and I all went cruising the mall last weekend. Ok, so we weren't cruising, we actually went there for a purpose but stopped in some other stores along the way. One store we hit was KB Toys.

There were several things I noticed while in here. The first, a lot of toys from when I was a kid have made a come back. However, in order to make these toys "cooler" the toy industry have rigged them to do new things such as talk, flash, have brighter colors, etc. This I believe, has not made that particular toy cooler, but rather lame. Who ever heard of Batman wearing orange? Batman is a creature of the night, he needs to blend in with the darkness!

Second, the children's voices on some of these toys, I find, are rather creepy. Especially the ones that laugh. It sends shivers down my spine. Whenever I hear them I place myself at some enormous, dark, abandoned house in the middle of nowhere. Where any second, some psychopath murderer is going to jump out and slaughter me.

What I want to know is, where are these children that laugh like that? Do these high tech computer gurus really think that these children's voices sound genuine?

Third, while browsing there were toys of cell phones, keys, laptops and other items that Mom and Dad would carry around. Why? I have to carry these things and I hate it. I know our children like to mimick us, therefore they have the same items we do...but geez. I would rather carry around a Transformer than all the mentioned above.

Jessie and I went into the section where they carry infant toys to take a peek. Let me just say that there is not much in the way of toys for children under 12 months. For the age Logan is now, 7 months, I counted a total of three. Of course they were all ones to work on crawling and motor skills which is good. Then I thought of Logan and his handful of toys now. He picks them up, watches as he moves it from one hand to the other, and then...into the mouth. So I thought, would he actually stack those colored rings onto the ring stand? Maybe later, now he's more interested in tasting and dropping everything.

We walked out of KB Toys empty handed. There was no need for us to buy anything now. Sometimes it is interesting enough just to see what is out there these days.

No comments: